Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Rhetoric & Composition: Class #17 Assignments

NOTE: Journal #9 was a rough draft of the FB reaction*

ALL ASSIGNMENTS OUTLINED BELOW WILL BE DUE MONDAY, APRIL 12TH

WRITE: Use notes and activities done in class as a model. Find a print opinion piece that you disagree with. First analyze it based on the variety of appeals the author uses to create and advance his/her argument. Then, look for a thesis. Is there a single statement that encompasses the breadth of the argument? Identify it based on the parameters discussed in class. Is there a classically logical strructure employed within? Write up your analysis as Journal #10.

Then, write a rebuttal that employs similar rhetorical devices but advances your view. This will be Formal Essay #8.  

8 comments:

  1. Mr. Costal, with all due respect, I am asking that you post the assignments more than a day in advance that they are due. I could of done this assignment all weekend/from then end of last class, but now I'm struggling to get them done.
    Also, can you explain what we are supposed to do a little more clearer because I am confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, with all due respect, please read assignments a bit more closely and please listen in class a bit more carefully. As I have explained MANY times in class...I will often post the assignments for an upcoming class in advance of said class. The due date is clearly marked! I have NEVER given an assignment without explaining it in class as well as posting it to this blog, so I am utterly confused by your oversight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Professor Costal,
    I saw that you're assigning Formal Essay 8 for next Monday. Did I completely miss Formal Essay 7? Because I couldn't find it anywhere... Just making sure I'm not going insane here..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Costal, I'm sorry, I made a mistake. I did overlook the exact due date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I'm having a hard time choosing a subject. I WAS thinking of doing an argument of tomatoes as a fruit or vegetable, but multiple articles seem to only support the fruit side of the argument... Can you give any suggestions, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chucky, I love that idea. You only need one article, so if you feel comfortable with it, I say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Costal I am having a problem finding a topic too. I tried Gender Roles in Society and Abortion but non of the arguments really fit three appeals. Can you tell me one please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't worry about fitting ALL three appeals. If you need to, just find one that fits at least one or two of them.

    ReplyDelete