Search This Blog

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Rhetoric & Composition: Class 6 Assignments

STUDY: You will have your active reading test on Wednesday.

READ: 1. Read this article about annotation from Mortimer Adler. Find it here.

2. It is my expectation that you will be done with Reluctant Fundamentalist by next week.or

WRITE: One form of writing crucial to rhetoric is critical analysis. Criticisms are one of the most unbiquitous forms of writing in popular media. I try to model good critical analysis writng through the personal writing I post to our blog. You will begin doing some of this style of writing on your own. To begin, you will write about some visual images. For now, I want you to get used to getting an overall impression from a work and then expressing that impression in one general sweep...one broad brush-stroke. To do this, study the piece thoughtfully. Consider its purpose, tone and audience. Be honest with yourself and don't try to pretend to be an art critic. Be you. Capture the fullness of your own voice. Then, simply, write one sentence that sums up the way you feel about it -- your overall impression. You will leave your single sentence as a comment under the post of the piece you have chosen. Due by class on Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. Are we still having the test tomorrow? All we have to do is read the article? I fell and sprained my ankle so I am supposed to keep off mmy foot, if we are not having the test, I wont be in class, if we are, I will try to be there. Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. The test is moved to Monday. Other than reading the article, you need to comment on one of the pictures. The comment can only be a sentence long. We were supposed to have a journal, but it doesn't look like Prof. Costal wrote anything about it.

    ReplyDelete